Sunday, March 04, 2007

"...with both hands."

"Hold a true friend with both hands." ---African Proverb

Things change and life moves forward. People change and drift apart. Allegiances are fleeting. Alliances are made and broken on a whim.
It sucks but it seems that it must be true. I had thought that true friendship lasts forever but it appears that I was an idealist or maybe just confused.
Maintenance of friendship... real friendship, takes work on both sides and I guess some are unwilling or unable to invest the time and effort required. Or perhaps they are too unhappy with themselves to put forth that effort. Superficial friendships or, better yet, acquaintances are easier but are they satisfying?
No matter what I think about my own personality I know that I am a loyal friend. That doesn't keep me from being hurt. I guess not everyone appreciates the virtue. Perhaps I'm too loyal... if there is such a thing. Still, I have no plans to change, at least in that respect.

So few people have the capacity to hurt me. Most of the ones that could... don't even THINK of doing such a thing. I'm blessed with several wonderful friends. Why then can those few make me cry? And why would they want to? And why do I still care about them?
I find it hard to believe they aren't aware that their actions are so hurtful. Do they care?
Or are they just so wrapped up in their problem lives that they just don't think of any one's feelings but their own?

"It is lack of love for ourselves that inhibits our compassion toward others. If we make friends with ourselves, then there is no obstacle to opening our hearts and minds to others." ---Pema Chodron

No comments: